Crockett Lake



I did a swing-by Crockett Lake for a quick watercolor sketch. It was an intensely bright day and as a result I think I treated the color too timidly. I have to keep reminding myself to beef it up since watercolor dries lighter. This day I was intrigued by the colors, patterns and forms scattered around the landscape. The wild roses in bloom sprinkled pinks on sage green and the purple/blue patterns in the gravel rocks all made for an active landscape. The fragrance of roses in the breeze was intoxicating!

Crockett Lake is a shallow brackish lake that's located within Ebey's Historic Preserve near Coupeville. It's protected habitat and serves as temporary and permanent home to 238 species of birds. It's definitely one of Whidbey Island's crown jewels. You can read more about it here.


Comments