Sketching at Mukilteo Coffee Cafe


I'm getting in touch once again with my love for sketching on location. Usually I prefer outdoor scenes of land and cityscapes, but need to work on drawing people, drawing in general, so decided to join a friend for some sketching. Watercolor is fast and can be treated in a gestural fashion. Blocking in areas then getting more detail later. It's easy to get caught up in facial features and watercolor forces me to be less descriptive.



This couple was aware of my looking, but didn't seem to mind.




These guys were so into their work they didn't notice us looking. Later the man on the left volunteered to stay longer so we could finish our drawings. I said we owed him coffee for modeling and he said it was he that owed us coffee. He was flattered we were drawing him. He had great features and attitudes to draw. Fun interactions on location.



The gal on the right covered her face as soon as she saw me drawing her. So I made quick work of it and concentrated on other areas away from her.

Comments