Morning Woodland

Whidbey had a nice break in the weather yesterday. And when it's sunny here it's gorgeous. The morning light filtering onto these trees was so striking I had to make some attempt at capturing the scene. So many colors I couldn't decide what was what. Were the tree trunks blue or violet? Leaves blue green or golden green? Sometimes I saw red, then sienna. With such indecision I ended up using all the colors in my travel palette. They're Daniel Smith watercolors... Hansa Yellow, Indian Yellow, Pyrrol Orange, Raw Sienna, Anthroquinoid scarlet, Alizarin Crimson, Cerulean Blue, French Ultramarine, Quinocridone Burnt Orange, Hookers Green, Sap Green, and Lunar Black.













As I waited for my first wash of the woodland scene to dry, I started the sketch on the left. I used Noodler's Ink, Kiowa Pecan, for the line work. It's water soluble so it bleeds a nice warm tone, yet retains a line.

Comments

  1. The woodland scene has got to be one of my all time favorites. SO beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I love painting the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The woods are fabulous and you've really captured the feeling. Very soothing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment